Wednesday 22 October 2014

Why The Philipines And What Am I Doing Over There?

Overview:

I'm travelling to Cebu (in the Philippines) to volunteer with the Voluntary Service Overseas in partnership with the Gaulandi Volunteer Service Programme. I will be part of a team of UK and national volunteers working on a project titled 'Disability- Deaf Inclusion and Awareness'. The project officially starts on January 8th 2015 and will last for 3 months. During my stay I will work as part of a team improving the lives of Deaf persons. Our aims are to: 

  • Improve the access to basic services
  • Advocate for equal education and employment opportunities
  • Advance Deaf persons participation in the development processes
  • Reduce social stigma surrounding Deaf persons
  • Create acceptance, integration and participation of Deaf persons within their communities and society as a whole

Why Cebu and The Philippines?

The VSO offer volunteer placements in over 30 countries in Africa and Asia. While I would have been happy giving my time and skills to any one of those countries I chose the Philippines for personal reasons. I was born in the UK but I am half Filipina on my mother’s side. I have grown up listening to my mother speak Tagalog (the official dialect in the Philippines); eaten its food (sometimes to the squeals of disgust of my British counterparts, because who eats noodles for breakfast right?);seen my mother struggle to raise money to pay for my cousins medical bills when she contracted TB; visited my cousins, the living in less than favourable conditions; and researched Filipino history .The Philippines has thus always been part of my life growing up, still, I want to explore and experience my cultural heritage further.



While my visits to the Philippines total three in the last 22 years, on my trips I have seen the poverty faced by millions of Filipinos and recognise some of the contributing factors. On each visit I have felt an overwhelming sense of helplessness and guilt. I was adamant I wanted to fight the causes of poverty and it's effects; but unable to comprehend how I might do this. Up until recently there hasn't really been much I could do to help. I donated my mini scooter and gameboy (probably a little too reluctantly) to my little cousin when I was younger. Then when I started working I would contribute money to Box Aid during every humanitarian disaster.  It is only now with a degree, several years of volunteer work behind me and a whole free year that I know I have the skills and experience to help make a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment